Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Green Tea Prevents......HIV??



For the past month, I have been addicted to green tea. The taste is certainly superior to any cola out there. Better yet, it seems every time I log on to my computer, I find a new study showcasing the benefits of this tea.


Here's a bizarre conclusion to a recent study: green tea can hinder HIV transmission. According to physorg.com, the medical experts at the University of Heidelberg in Germany have discovered a chemical within green tea that "helps inhibit sexual transmission of the virus which causes AIDS." (Not that I have this disease myself).


Not only can green tea help with that epidemic, it has been found that it can help prevent cancer and heart disease. The benefits of this delicious drink seem endless. The brand shown, that I am drinking currently, contains theanine. Theanine apparently increases the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA. GABA regulates muscle tone as well as excitability throughout the nervous system.

No comments: